Tidying up the details of the downstairs bathroom, finally! Last weekend we worked on the new wood plank ceiling, and I used a nail gun for the first time. It was a life changing experience, why did I not get one sooner?? More on that soon... let's play catch up - I'd been saying I'd show you a quick run down on the light fixture, and here it is.
Heads up, if you are planning on doing a similar, simple light fixture makeover, here is what you'll need:
- Old light fixture, cleaned up.
- Spray Paint. Two colors in my case.
I told you it was simple...
As you know - we had a fluorescent light fixture in the bathroom, that I just couldn't understand WHY it was there. If you missed it, here's a peek:
Pretty bad, and the light it gave off was the worst. If you ever want to install the most unflattering light in the world, I recommend a bare bulb fluorescent shop light. It's pretty bad. In my brain I knew I wanted something unique, so off to the thrift stores I went, and found this:
I have to admit - I didn't pick it up at first. I walked by it, then walked around thinking & kept coming back. I could see some potential, but let's face it, it's also pretty scary... but it was solid metal & porcelain, around $15, and I knew I could at least TRY spray paint. If it didn't work out, no big loss, right? I got impatient when I got home that night & started dismantling:
That totally doesn't look yellow, but it is. Very yellow. Took about 4 thin coats, and luckily no drips. That's why you want to do THIN coats.
I decided to reassemble the "guts" portion of the light, figuring that solid yellow would make for a seamless & clean look. Though I did keep out the very last brass fastener, to remain brass. (For the bottom).
So here I have it assembled, tape to protect the wires, and tape inside the sockets to protect our connections.
After doing as much as I could from these angles, I hung the "guts" from my sawhorse and spray painted my last few coats from above. I didn't take a photo, oopsy. You get the idea!
Note: See how at the end (far right) there is no finishing piece of hardware? That's the one I kept out.
While that dried, I went back to my bell (which was now dry) and added a few pieces of tape to the inside top (to cover the hole from within) and then painted the bell grey. I apologize for the lack of pictures, I could have sworn I took some. These are the consequences of balancing too many projects!
I was starting to really work against the light here, as shown in my impatient cell phone night photo:
Simple makeover! Two different colors of spray paint, and an afternoon of patience.
Now, in these photos it's a plug in light, but the plan is to hard-wire it in so this puppy is operated on the light switch. Maybe even a dimmer switch... fancy....
OK - back to work! Have a good one.
Leftover things to do in the bathroom: