Google+ Nine Red: Chevron Side Tables

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chevron Side Tables

Introudcing, my latest furniture project, the Twin Chevron Side Tables:
Wow, I'm finally done! This was my first time doing the chevron pattern, and it was definitely a new experience.  Lots of taping! I know I've been talking about them forever, but you know how time is, it just flies. Can you believe it's almost Halloween? Wow. So what do you think of these tables? Those handles pull out drawers that I lined with a great coral print fabric, leftover from this project. I of course forgot to take a picture!  Hmm, these pictures may not do the top justice, but it's actually cream stripes on a walnut surface:
There we go, that shows up a little more. I love that dark walnut stain! It's always been one of my favorites.  For the base I used Cozumel, another favorite of mine, and decided to try it with the DIY Chalk paint recipe, and in my gravity feed sprayer.  I had a little trouble though, I didn't dissolve the plaster of paris enough apparently and got a few chunks here and there.  They sanded off very easily, but then I had to recoat so I didn't have little white dots! If you try this, dissolve that plaster as best you can!  Before I rattle on, check out the before: shot
I used Citristrip on this one to remove as much of the finish as I could. Though I just found out about a Minwax Product called Furniture Refinisher, which apparently can remove a good amount of this junk. Next time! Have any of you used that before? Citristrip is great and all, but it was a little challenging this time, not sure why! That's the ins & outs of furniture refinishing, a product will work great on one piece, and not great another. Who knows!

I originally intended to try and go really clean with this piece, mainly to keep a little variety in my life, but as that one cricket in that one movie that shall remain  nameless (copyrights, hello!) always said, "Always let the furniture be your guide" - yes, that's what he said, I'm sure of it. I had to follow these tables lead, and distress them.  The paint was being finicky in certain areas, and the decision was made - they would look much nicer as a distressed piece.  I think it matches their age really well though! These are solid wood tables, and heavy duty! I think they'd look great framing a couch for a pop of color in a fun loving home. These will be for sale soon, e-mail me if you're interested & want me to hold them for you.  Have a fantastic day, keep in touch: Facebook - Twitter - Pinterest.

Post a Comment

10 comments:

  1. Your tables look stunning! Please come by my new blog and let me know what you think, I am your newest follower!

    Jan @ The Pink Geranium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I peeked at your blog, looks fun! I will browse more when I get home tonight. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Those chevron end tables look terrific! I always see those two tier tables in thrift stores and can never come up with a good idea for what to do with them but you totally nailed it. Cool, modern, retro, colorful - all at once!
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the two tier tables, and THANK YOU! I was nervous they'd be "too much" for people, then I thought, well who cares - I wouldn't mind keeping these babies at all! Haha...

      Delete
  3. Those chevron end tables look terrific! Just before some day i have replaced some of my household furniture with some new furniture. Really it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesse these look amazing. I can't believe how crisp and perfect your lines are. And I have to be perfectly honest, I am not a big fan of Chevron, but I am seeing it in a whole new light here. I am featuring this at my party tomorrow. -K

    PS I have a new product my friend told me about, it is made by Zinnser, and it is like a Citrus Strip. It is all natural as well, and this stuff will eat through several layers. Just put it on at night, if it is hot, cover it with wax paper, so it doesn't dry, then in the morning, you can just literally roll the paint and finish right off. I had to order mine online at Amazon, and it was back ordered for a few months. You might be able to find it a Kelly Moore or Home Depot where you live though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Oh that tip is awesome, I've GOT to try it. That sounds so easy, does it remove stains too? Sometimes that's such a pain...

      Delete
  5. awesome job love love love the color choices and how fresh & modern it makes these older tables look really great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I have to update the post actually, the inside of the drawers is an adorable grey and white coral print fabric. So cute it's sickening.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shareaholic